Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Monopoly Jr.

I know that game makers put age suggestions on the side of most games, but I guess I never really realized the importance of them.

Last Saturday night, I only had 2 of the kids home with me (Benjamin was at Aunt Denise's, Bailey was at Aunt Barbara's and Beckah was at Nannas) - that left Brody & Bowman at home with me. I wanted to do something fun with them, so I let Brody pick out a game from the game closet. He climbed up in the game closet and eventually emerged with Monopoly Jr. My first thought was...oh no, MONOPOLY!! But, then decided it was the Jr. version so it couldn't possibly take that long to play. Well, our Monopoly adventure got started off with a giggle and it went from there.

As we were taking the game pieces from the box, I told Brody that we weren't going to play using the money which he was ok with. He looked through the box and politely asked, "momma can we play with the potties". Taken aback I asked him to repeat his question, then realized he was referring to the game pieces which are actually ticket booths (but do look an awful lot like porta potties). After I chuckled a bit, I told him that we could play with these potties, but immediately reminded Bowman that we were not to play in or with the real potty!!

After we got all of the game pieces out, we started our game. I took my turn - rolled the die and counted my squares. Then Brody took his turn - tossed the die in the air, chased it around the floor, counted the dots, counted the dots again, then counted the squares, then moved his game piece. Then it was Bowman's turn - he took the die and held it in his hand...I encouraged him to roll it so that he could move his game piece. After several attempts to get him to release the die, he decided it was time....so he tossed it in the air, chased it around the floor, picked it up, put it on the monopoly board, then put his hand on top of it and moved it back and forth. After he did it a few times, I realized he was "rolling" the die!!!! It's amazing how literal they are!!!!

After a few rounds, both boys lost interest. But I giggled about the game for a while that night!

1 comment:

abryant said...

Sound so fun!! Alot like playing games with my two. We have the Monopoly around town game where the car drives around the side. It's confusing to me muchless my boys!